contact home links about where i've been n stuff

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

my remembery

Friday was my first day (evening) at my new job. I like it. I'm learning their computer system, which is not easy to learn, but once learned, will be easy to use.

My job involves managing scheduled appointments as well as walk-ins. Lots of people traffic, in and out all day long. I'm not sure if the family who came in had just come in on a whim, or if they were scheduled ahead of time. Mother, Father, 5 daughters. That's right, 5 girls. From the top of the line (12-ish?) right down to the one in the front of the double stroller who was sucking on cheerios. The mom was striking. She was wearing a very modest summer dress: floral print, short sleves, ankle length, rayon or something (this is not my field); ankle socks and crocs. She's a beauty. Her eyes sparkled and smiled. Her face is so kind. But it was the dad who caught my attention. Not because I was attracted to him - I wasn't - but because I knew him.

"Are you okay?" asked Mindy, my trainer.

"Yes. It's just . . . I think I know that guy, but I'm not sure from where."

"Oh, really?" And then we went back to my training.

About twenty minutes later, Mindy went to the back of the establishment to get something, leaving me all alone at the front desk. Most of the family had been sitting in the waiting chairs, waiting for the two oldest daughters to finish up with what they had come in for. The father stood up and headed over to me. It was then that I realized that I knew from where I knew this guy.

"Should I just pay right now?"

"Uhhhhhh . . ."

"Or maybe it's free tonight?"

*looking around* "To be honest, it's my first night working here, I don't really know what I'm supposed to do, so we can just wait until Mindy returns." (NOTE: I wouldn't have phrased this so unprofessionally with someone who I didn't "know" -- yes, I am just that professional.)

"Oh, alright."

"Do you mind if I ask you something?"

"Not at all."

"Were you an EFY counselor?"

"Yes, I was."

"Is your name Kyle?"

"Yeeaaaahhh . . ."

"I think you were an EFY counselor in my group."

"Here at BYU?"

"No. I went in Missouri, Indiana, Michigan, and Virginia."

"Well, I was in Missouri and Virginia."

"Virginia was in '95, the summer after I graduated."

"No, that's not it."

"Must have been in Missouri."

"Wow, and you remember that?"

"I guess I do."

"What's your name?"

"Jenny. But back then I was going by Phread."

*no recognition at this* "Oh. Do you remember Adam and Walker?"

"Yes."

"We still keep in touch. They came to my wedding."

"Oh, that's neat."

"That was a very special year."

"Yes, it was."

"My wife was a counselor there that year, as well. That's where we met."

"Oh my goodness! That's great!"

At this point, Wife walked over. "Honey, this is Jenny. She was at EFY in Missouri when we were."

She flashed her sparkly smile. "I can't believe it!"

Mindy returned and the small talk continued as we finished their transactions. The family left, smiling and waving, and I threw out my hopes that I'd see them again soon. After they left, Mindy said, "So, you know them?"

"Well, I figured out that I remembered him because he was one of my EFY counselors."

"How old are you?"

"30. This was in 1992. I was 15."

"And you remember that?"

"Yeah. Is that weird?"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe he would have remembered Luke or Dan or even W. I hope you see them again.

sue-donym said...

I don't think it is at all weird that you remember things like this. That is how you keep your freindships for so long.

I am still puzzled by the ankle length dress, socks and crocs though.

Carina said...

I'm not surprised by you remembering people, you have an amazing memory. However, like Sue, I'm a little perplexed as to the socks and crocs...

~j. said...

The socks & crocs -- it was so peculiar! Yet, she was a striking beauty. She reminded me of Jessa Duggar in that way. Does that make more sense?

Sister Pottymouth said...

Amazing memory, my friend. You are awesome. Someday, after I die, I will have a memory like that. Maybe. If I'm good.

{natalie} said...

ahhh efy. i just remember having a crush on all the hot counselors and hoping they would notice the nerdy gal in braces. hahahaha.

ps. what is the phread all about??

Christi said...

wow.... someone doesn't know about phread. She probably doesn't know about singing the Star-Spangled Banner in a toga standing on the bed in the dorms at IU Bloomington past curfew after catching two councelors making out in the basement secret passageways either.....
Or the AMAZING dancer you were (and I am sure you still are)... winning the dance contest and having people CROWD around you in absolute awe. Oh the memories. Those were great times. Thanks for sneaking out to come see me that night. It was a much needed reprieve.